6 Tips For Choosing The Perfect Shopping Cart
So you have a bunch of products you’d like to sell, you know you need a shopping cart, but you’re unsure of which one to choose. You don’t want to spend a lot; however, you want the most bang for your buck! You have a website and all, but you’re not a “Master” webmaster, and you want something powerful and professional, without the powerful and professional price tag. Then, this article is for you – read on…
1. OK – Just What Is A Shopping Cart Supposed to Do?
Shopping carts are more commonly used as a way to display physical products, products like televisions, groceries, electronic equipment, clothes, and memorabilia, etc – NOT digital products. Shopping carts make it easy to cross-sell and up-sell your customers once they arrive at your store. Shopping carts typically handle the shipping and handling calculation, taxes and credit card processing. A good shopping cart handles all of these efficiently and securely.
2. Dynamic Operation
A good shopping cart program also creates dynamic order forms on the fly as the order takes place. The shopping cart should be totally dynamic; meaning it only executes code and retrieves products, images, and product descriptions from your database when your customers request it. During the checkout process it should also calculate shipping/handling and taxes for you.
3. Real-Time Credit Card Processing
Powerful CGI, PHP, CFM, ASP, etc, scripting, processes commands for you on secure servers when your customers place their orders. Don’t get this confused with credit card processing. What I’m speaking of here is the passing of your customers’ order information from a secure form, to your merchant or payment processor, using one of the scripting languages above. Your payment processor or merchant, like PayPal, 2CheckOut, or Authorize.Net will then process the credit card. If you don’t currently have a merchant or payment processor, and you are going to be selling online, then you NEED one. You can view some recommendations here: http://prowebware.com/merchantaccts.html
You can choose what options you want your customer to see. For instance, you can choose to display a search form on your shopping cart. A search form allows your customers to search your store for items by keyword or product name, etc. You can choose to display options like color, size and quantity, and even adjust the price based on the customer’s selection. These are called options. Your shopping cart should also allow you to upload images of your products as well. The ProWebWare shopping cart is a well-rounded, all-in-one solution to your shopping cart needs that’s worth a look. The ProWebWare cart is a service that’s part of a total e-business automation package. You can check it out here: http://prowebware.com/shopping_cart.html.
5. Stand-Alone -vs- Hosted Shopping Carts
However, you CAN purchase standalone shopping cart software or services. The stand alone software, of course, requires skill and expertise to install it on your web host or on your own server. Some of the shopping cart services, although it may not seem like it at first, limit you as to what you can and cannot do. These services are most commonly offered by web hosts as a way to entice you to host your site with them. When using these types of services, remember, you’re locked into using that web host when you opt to use their shopping cart service. Your business is not portable and becomes a part of that web host. Make sure there is a simple export process that allows you to easily download your website and shopping cart if you no longer wish to use their services. In my opinion, the best option is to use a shopping cart that runs from your own website, independent of your web host. Both Prowebware and stand-alone shopping cart applications run from YOUR website, giving you both control and flexibility.
6. So, Which Is The Right System For You?
Choosing a shopping cart boils down to 4 things: 1. Your Budget – Is FREE your only option or are you serious about your business? 2. Your Skill-level – Do you have the expertise to edit & install scripts on your server? 3. Desired Functionality – Want a professional results oriented system or a display case? 4. Time – Have time to take away from your business to shape and mold a new program?
Whatever you decide, your cart should also permit you to follow-up with your customers automatically and even auto-subscribe them to your mailing list, all of which, of course, can be easily handled with the ProWebWare system, or another out-of-the-box application. To implement most out-of-the-box applications, you will need to know how to edit PHP code and how to set up a MySQL database on your server for dynamic operation. If you opt for the ProWebWare e-business Automation System to automate your shopping cart as well as your entire e-business, then all you need to know is how to copy/paste some simple code to your existing website. The system also includes contextual help menus that walk you through setting up your new cart.
If either of these fits you, Prowebware or a boxed program, then, why not try one of them today? The ProWebWare system is easy to setup and it offers a free trial period so you can try it out and see if the system is right for you. Check out their free trial certificate here, http://prowebware.com/order.html, or check out their shopping cart features here: http://prowebware.com/shopping_cart.html.
About the author:
Ettione Stuckey, Performance Technologist, Webmaster, Internet Marketer Ettione holds degrees in electronics and business. His passion is ecommerce and Internet Marketing. Ettione is an accomplished webmaster, who runs several ecommerce websites. He understands the science and application of ecommerce technology and concepts. “ProWebWare E-Business Automation” is his fourth website and is a big HIT for its powerful ecommerce features and
Written by: Ettione Stuckey
User Review( votes)
- 80Succeeding in business can be a hassle and a headache without the right tools. This is especially true when dealing with ecommerce. Regardless of the market, service, or goods being offered, the one tool that is essential to the success of every online ecommerce business is a reliable ecommerce shopping…
- 78Competency: Sales and Marketing Many seasoned professional speakers agree that you can make more money selling your knowledge in the form of products than you can speaking. You can use traditional methods to sell products such as direct mail, catalogs and advertising. However, if you have a great online presence,…
- 77Many small and medium sized businesses have found that working through an Application Service Provider or ASP (hosted and managed shopping cart software), removes the hassles that are standard in managing an online store or shopping cart. Furthermore, it is now accepted that outsourcing this function will not only benefit…
- 75Mystery shopping is a long time and very easy to understand concept. In this very competitive age customer service is paramount to retailers. These retailers hire mystery shoppers, also known as secret shoppers to evaluate staff performance, check on customer service and evaluate front line cashier staff. Retail managers use…
- 73Discount Online Shopping Wednesday, April 27, 2009 - - Discount online shopping is a welcome reality of modern life, combining the convenience of purchasing over the Internet with considerable cost savings. And for the very best of discount online shopping in the United States and Canada, there is only one…
- 72This article shows how doing it online, enhances your overall Christmas experience! Christmas shopping online is not for you? If you are one of those that share this thought, you probably like to enjoy the atmosphere of physical shopping. Doing your Christmas shopping online despite all its convenience, lack…
- 72---<<+>>-----<<+>>-----<<+>>-----<<+>>-----<<+>>-----<<+>> Shopping Tips: 1. If you are over 50 you can save hundreds of dollars off of car insurance and hotel stays by joining AARP (American Association of Retired Persons). Also, adding your children to your car insurance policy can also save you hundreds per year too. 2. If you…
Share Your Thoughts
Category: Tips Articles