ASP (hosted) Shopping cart software ‘versus’ Shop in a box
Many small and medium sized businesses have found that working through an Application Service Provider or ASP (hosted and managed shopping cart software), removes the hassles that are standard in managing an online store or shopping cart. Furthermore, it is now accepted that outsourcing this function will not only benefit a businesses bottom line, but also enables merchants to spend less time sorting out technology problems, leaving them more time to concentrate on the important matters of running and growing their business.
An ASP means all data and applications are hosted, controlled, upgraded constantly and maintained at a facility other than the customers site where data can be accessed securely via the internet. By outsourcing Small to Medium Enterprise’s (SME’s) e-commerce solution to an ASP, the need to own costly equipment is removed and reliability is increased by having access to 24/7 technical expertise. To the person sitting behind the computer, there is no obvious difference to what they would see on their screen
There are numerous advantages available for SMEs by outsourcing to an ASP:
* You no longer have to purchase and maintain your own servers, hosting room, virus protection, back up’s or security systems (this is all taken care of by your ASP), this will remove overheads normally associated with internal IT systems
* An ASP generally offers the option of subscription, as opposed to purchasing for thousands of dollars for anything decent.
* Financial benefits from the conversion of high-tech capital intensive expenses into predictable, fully tax-deductible, monthly pricing plans. This levels out the peaks and troughs of IT expenditure
* The responsibility of managing the infrastructure is removed (the ASP assumes full responsibility of the IT system)
* Remote access, network security and high disaster recovery solutions equal to that required by financial institutions are just some of the other services offered
The major and most overlooked advantage of using as ASP is the sheer expense they have gone to in setting up strong infrastructure and recovery system. In the worst case scenario, you will generally be back online the same day with all your site content including orders and products still in your shopping cart.
There are few downsides to this model. Outsourcing your online store to a specialist and reputable provider is certainly something worth investigating, from a cost, efficiency and security perspective. If all aspects are taken into account, you will almost certainly find that setting up a shopping cart using a boxed or non ASP solution is far less cost effective and time consuming for your business not to mention frustrating!
So where does this leave us? In my opinion, a hosted ecommerce solution is a better business model if you plan to develop and market your business for success. The software you choose is vitally important so make sure you research both free shopping cart providers and paid ones as the free softwares are really coming into play since advertising can account for strong revenue these days if there enough people interested in a product.
About the author:
22 years IT professional, 5 years SEO expert Free shopping cart software
Written by: James O’Brien
User Review( votes)
- 84Succeeding in business can be a hassle and a headache without the right tools. This is especially true when dealing with ecommerce. Regardless of the market, service, or goods being offered, the one tool that is essential to the success of every online ecommerce business is a reliable ecommerce shopping…
- 79This article shows how doing it online, enhances your overall Christmas experience! Christmas shopping online is not for you? If you are one of those that share this thought, you probably like to enjoy the atmosphere of physical shopping. Doing your Christmas shopping online despite all its convenience, lack…
- 79Discount Online Shopping Wednesday, April 27, 2009 - - Discount online shopping is a welcome reality of modern life, combining the convenience of purchasing over the Internet with considerable cost savings. And for the very best of discount online shopping in the United States and Canada, there is only one…
- 75Mystery shopping is a long time and very easy to understand concept. In this very competitive age customer service is paramount to retailers. These retailers hire mystery shoppers, also known as secret shoppers to evaluate staff performance, check on customer service and evaluate front line cashier staff. Retail managers use…
- 75Christmas shopping is no longer confined to the local mall or an annual catalog that happens to find it's way into your mailbox. Thanks to advanced technology, there is literally a whole world of shopping at your fingertips. The internet has revolutionized the way people shop and, besides, what better…
- 73The internet is a wonderful place to find free mystery shopping jobs and related information. This $600 million industry offers professional shoppers with the opportunity to work flexible hours and earn money while doing it. A wealth of information on free mystery shopping jobs is just a click away. In…
- 73Valetta, Malta - September 15, 2009 - Staying alert to turbulent market opportunities and growing thirst for gambling goods and accessories, Gamblinggates.com has launched its long-awaited e-shopping facility. GamblingGates.com customers are presented with a wide-ranging selection of gambling-related books, videos, DVDs, games and accessories. Look at reviews, descriptions, and other details…
Share Your Thoughts
Category: Tips Articles