Bad Credit Auto Loan Refinance – Bad Credit Auto Refinance Tips
Most people know that it is possible to refinance their homes but did you know it is also possible to refinance your auto? Indeed for many people who have high interest sub prime car loans, refinancing their auto loans may be a wise decision. How do you know when refinancing your bad credit auto loan might be a good idea? And once you have decided to refinance, how should you go about doing it so that you actually improve your loan situation?
Just as when you refinance your home loan, when you refinance your auto loan the old loan is paid off in full and it is replaced by a new loan. If when you bought your car your credit score was below 620, the interest rate on your auto loan may be significantly above the interest rate you can qualify for today. By refinancing your bad credit auto loan the monthly payment may go down substantially. Also, over the life of the loan you may save several thousand dollars in interest payments.
You may be a candidate for an auto loan refinance if
Your car loan has become “seasoned”; that is, if you have had it for at least a year.
You have made your payments in a timely manner.
Your car’s value is more than the amount you owe on it.
If all of the above statements are true, then it may be time to investigate refinancing your car.
First, make sure you are fully aware of the state of your current credit report and current credit rating. Both of these are easily available online. You are entitled to one free credit report each year. Your current credit score (FICO score) should also be available for a nominal fee.
Second, find out your car’s value. Having your car appraised is not a requirement for refinancing your auto loan but you should know its value. Most auto loan refinance companies require that your loan be at least $7,500 so your car value must be at least that amount. At your local bookstore and online there are many resources for estimating your car’s worth. Two of the most popular sources are the Kelley Blue Book and Edmunds Buyer Guides. Be sure and have a realistic eye when surveying your car’s condition, you can be sure your lender will.
Third, research the available lenders. It may be that your current lender will be open to refinancing your car. However, you should shop around for the institution that will give you the lowest interest rate and refinance as small an amount as possible. When these two conditions are met you will then also get the lowest monthly payment available.
Fourth, as with any loan, have all offers put in writing. Take the time to read the fine print and compare the proposals.
Finding a lender to refinance your bad credit auto loan may take some time and effort. The savings to your pocketbook every month and over the life of the loan, however, can easily make the time and effort worthwhile.
About the author:
Written by: Carrie Reeder
User Review( votes)
- 87Cars don't look at your credit before they decide to breakdown. Anyone, with poor credit or great credit, could find themselves in a situation where they need an auto loan. Fortunately, those with poor credit do have options available for financing their vehicles. "Bad Credit Car Loans" One of the…
- 85You have probably heard of auto refinance before. Or simply refinance. The term "refinance" actually refers to a financial situation wherein a borrower finds financing to pay off a current loan. Refinance is often put into practice in home buying. In fact, refinancing is one of the most popular methods…
- 83The most common reason most people refinance is to save money, but many people refinance for various other reasons. 1. Refinancing to Lower Your Monthly Payment for an Existing Loan. You can refinance your existing loan at a lower interest rate thus reducing your monthly loan payments. With interest rates…
- 82Bad Credit Mortgage Refinance If you are looking to refinance your mortgage but believe you will be unable to because your credit may be challenged by late payments, bankruptcy, charge off's, or unpaid medical bills to name a few, don't worry, there is hope. There are literally thousands of lenders…
- 82Refinance home is in vogue especially with reduction in interest rates. Refinance is still going strong with 40% of the home loan applications being filled in for refinancing home loans. Homeowners realize that there is enough equity in the home to refinance and convert into cash and credit. Few people…
- 82After buying your own home, one of the most expensive purchases you will decide on is buying a car. Along with the car, car-related expenses, like fuel, maintenance and insurance, even accessories, can get a big chunk from your budget. Sure, you will be kicking a few tires but that…
- 82Fast car on open roads. It is a perfect picture for any car enthusiast. But you have to go to your work and also drop your kids to school. This is the real picture for most of us. We need to save time when we don’t have any. A typical…
- 82At some point in a person's life they come to a conclusion that they are paying more for something than they should. If you wish to break out of this cycle and refinance your car loan therefore saving you thousands of dollars in interest and high rates then you are…
Share Your Thoughts
Category: Tips Articles