Beware the Shopping Mall Monster
Like me, you’ve probably been offered a fair old number of these by now…
..and, if you’re like most people, chances are you maybe own at least one or two.
They always seem to put in an appearance at just the right (or wrong) moment…
It might be Saturday and you’ve just seen the clothing item of your dreams.
That can be a pain, though, if this month’s paycheck isn’t due for another week.
Until, that is, you’re offered…
..a store card.
One of the horrible ironies about store cards is that the vast majority of people who sign up for one actually had no intention of making a purchase before they left the house.
But if you’re caught in the above situation, the convenience factor frequently wins the day, doesn’t it? Add on top of this all the little goodies thrown in as a sweetener…
An introductory discount on goods – typically around the 10% mark – extra money off during sales periods etc…
But let me tell you what the sales assistant probably won’t…
For starters, did you know that many department stores will currently charge you anything up to 30% interest on that little card they offer you? (yes, even those ones with the pretty pictures.) That’s around double the interest of your standard credit card!
Well, hang around… it gets a lot worse!
Here are just a few of the pitfalls you should look out for the next time you’re offered a store card…
- Buy now, pay within the next three months. Sure…great deal if you do actually manage to pay it off within that time. If not, some stores will charge you interest from the first day you bought!
- Ask questions: In a recent study, it was found that in one third of cases, information on the interest rate on the card (among other things) was not freely available.
- Don’t be tempted to take out expensive and often useless insurance. This can be a monthly amount of 1.5%. With interest repayments of 30%, you could end up with an annual rate of 56%!
- Also, steer clear of any payment protection insurance scheme. If you were to lose your job or couldn’t work due to illness or accident, you’ll find that this ‘insurance’ generally only pays the minimum monthly payment, not the whole balance!
- Be on your guard. Staff will usually ask you to fill in the application form in store. In many cases the insurance box will already have been ticked and you will simply be asked to sign up for insurance.
- Study the terms and conditions carefully in the store. Staff have been known to refuse customers to take away the form.
Probably the worst thing about store cards is that it’s very easy to build up an array of them so that, before you know it, there seems to be more of them in your wallet than there are coat hangars in your wardrobe.
And in what seems like no time at all…
.. you’ve just spent way, way beyond your means!
If you feel you must buy on credit why not use a credit card with a low or even 0% rate? After all, if you’re going to have debts, you may as well make them cheap ones!
A store card might seem handy and convenient but they generally come with a horrendous hidden cost.
So next time you’re a tempted to take on another piece of plastic, make sure you get all the facts up front.
Your bank balance might just thank you for it.
Copyright © 2009 by Colin McCaig mailto:email@example.com
Colin Mc Caig is dedicated to helping others become debt fr#ee and start their own home-based business. Get his fr#ee 6-part mini-course. Learn the powerful secrets to becoming debt-fr#ee using only the money you have today. Send a blank email to: ==========>>>>>>>>>> mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
Written by: colin mc caig
User Review( votes)
- 65Mystery shopping is a long time and very easy to understand concept. In this very competitive age customer service is paramount to retailers. These retailers hire mystery shoppers, also known as secret shoppers to evaluate staff performance, check on customer service and evaluate front line cashier staff. Retail managers use…
- 64Sometimes you need extra money for unexpected expenses like car repairs, unexpected bills, health expenses, school expenses, or a myriad of other reasons. Where do you go to get money for these unplanned expenses? Personal loans are available from many different companies and lenders for consumers today whether you have…
- 64Christmas shopping is no longer confined to the local mall or an annual catalog that happens to find it's way into your mailbox. Thanks to advanced technology, there is literally a whole world of shopping at your fingertips. The internet has revolutionized the way people shop and, besides, what better…
- 63Discount Online Shopping Wednesday, April 27, 2009 - - Discount online shopping is a welcome reality of modern life, combining the convenience of purchasing over the Internet with considerable cost savings. And for the very best of discount online shopping in the United States and Canada, there is only one…
- 63Many small and medium sized businesses have found that working through an Application Service Provider or ASP (hosted and managed shopping cart software), removes the hassles that are standard in managing an online store or shopping cart. Furthermore, it is now accepted that outsourcing this function will not only benefit…
- 63Someone impersonating you could be spending your hard-earned money. Impossible! Not really, check, loan, and identity fraud are a real problem. In 2009, the federal trade commission estimated that identity fraud affected and estimated 3.3 million Americans; costing consumers $3.8 billion and business $32.9 billion. Here are…
Share Your Thoughts
Category: Tips Articles