De-Mystifying Mystery Shopping
Mystery shopping is a long time and very easy to understand concept. In this very competitive age customer service is paramount to retailers. These retailers hire mystery shoppers, also known as secret shoppers to evaluate staff performance, check on customer service and evaluate front line cashier staff. Retail managers use mystery shopping for efficient evaluation of their business practices, their goods delivery and their employees’ company and product knowledge as well as customer service practices and skills.
Those hired for mystery shopping visit retailers in the pose of a customer and then write up the details of their experience shopping there. Typically they are responded to a questionnaire. Retailers are not the only ones using mystery shoppers, however. Banks and other financial institutions hired mystery shoppers, as well as convenience stores, restaurants, manufacturers, entertainment firms and even service firms.
While in theory anyone can mystery shop, you do need to be professional and responsible, with a good level of observation and memory skills, and the ability to succinctly and clearly put into written words the details about your experience.
You should never have to pay upfront for the opportunity to do mystery shopping. If a mystery-shopping firm is asking you to do so they are not making you a legitimate job offer. This is a scam. They may call it a registration fee or say that you are purchasing a list of firms that offer mystery shopping. But, whatever they call it you shouldn’t pay the fee.
Legitimate mystery shopping companies will train you, give you tips for improving your mystery shopping skills and sometimes let you keep what you shop – for free. There are several ways of reimbursing you for your services. You will either get a fee for each shopping experience that is agreed upon before you shop, or you’ll be reimbursed for your purchase, or you may get both. The worse that will happen is that you get to dine for free, buy clothes and other goods that you choose, at no charge, or avail yourself of services that you don’t have to pay for.
Most mystery shopping companies have a very short online registration to apply for the mystery shopper position. They’ll ask for your e-mail address and phone number. You have to show a lot of flexibility, though – at least at first. Many assignments could be last minute, and this is no nine to five job. You may need a digital camera for some shopping evaluations, and you should have Internet access, email and fax availability.
Mystery shopping is not a regular job. You could wait months for your first work, with no set schedule guarantee. You might get an assignment that requires an hour or two of work, or one that sends you off on a two week cruise. You just never know. You should plan on registering with several mystery-shopping firms. You might do well to look at online message boards and forums for mystery shopping to find firms that are looking for new mystery shoppers.
Companies that offer legitimate mystery shopping work include Mystery Diners Inc., which specializes in sending mystery shoppers to evaluate employees and services of the restaurant and bar industries; Bare associates, a global firm that offers online mystery shopping training; Certified Reports Inc. that specializes in the entertainment industry such as theatres; and a Closer Look that provides mystery shopping evaluations for the hospitality (hotel and restaurant) industry.
Another mystery shopping firm is Intelli Shop which not only offers on-site mystery shopping evaluations but call centers that can evaluate your telephone sales and customer service team and online evaluations of your site’s services. The mystery shopping company Employee Evaluator specializes in evaluation of real estate agencies and services, but can also offer mystery-shopping evaluations of just about any type of firm; and Amusement Advantage. This firm specializes in the amusement industry, offering mystery shopping evaluations of arcades, amusement parks, theatres, golf courses, aquariums, zoos and even convention and visitors bureaus and tourist information centers. Alex Ruban is the owner of Paid Surveys since March, 2009. His site provides information about hundreds of free legitimate paid online surveys, polls, and focus group providers along with detailed reviews, descriptions of each program, paid survey guidelines and useful tips.
(c) 2009, Free Paid Surveys Online Directory. Reprint rights granted so long as article and by-line are printed intact and all links made live.
About the author:
Written by: Alex Ruban
User Review( votes)
- 91The internet is a wonderful place to find free mystery shopping jobs and related information. This $600 million industry offers professional shoppers with the opportunity to work flexible hours and earn money while doing it. A wealth of information on free mystery shopping jobs is just a click away. In…
- 81Discount Online Shopping Wednesday, April 27, 2009 - - Discount online shopping is a welcome reality of modern life, combining the convenience of purchasing over the Internet with considerable cost savings. And for the very best of discount online shopping in the United States and Canada, there is only one…
- 79---<<+>>-----<<+>>-----<<+>>-----<<+>>-----<<+>>-----<<+>> Shopping Tips: 1. If you are over 50 you can save hundreds of dollars off of car insurance and hotel stays by joining AARP (American Association of Retired Persons). Also, adding your children to your car insurance policy can also save you hundreds per year too. 2. If you…
- 79This article shows how doing it online, enhances your overall Christmas experience! Christmas shopping online is not for you? If you are one of those that share this thought, you probably like to enjoy the atmosphere of physical shopping. Doing your Christmas shopping online despite all its convenience, lack…
- 79Valetta, Malta - September 15, 2009 - Staying alert to turbulent market opportunities and growing thirst for gambling goods and accessories, Gamblinggates.com has launched its long-awaited e-shopping facility. GamblingGates.com customers are presented with a wide-ranging selection of gambling-related books, videos, DVDs, games and accessories. Look at reviews, descriptions, and other details…
- 76Succeeding in business can be a hassle and a headache without the right tools. This is especially true when dealing with ecommerce. Regardless of the market, service, or goods being offered, the one tool that is essential to the success of every online ecommerce business is a reliable ecommerce shopping…
- 75Many small and medium sized businesses have found that working through an Application Service Provider or ASP (hosted and managed shopping cart software), removes the hassles that are standard in managing an online store or shopping cart. Furthermore, it is now accepted that outsourcing this function will not only benefit…
- 75Easy online shopping for motorcycle parts. In buying motorcycle parts and accessories remember that the time spent in studying the motorcycle part is well worth it. There are lot of companies who offer more and provide less benefits and its always the same excuse when something goes wrong--We will check…
Share Your Thoughts
Category: Tips Articles