Diamonds on the Internet! A new and better way of shopping for your diamond and jewelry?
How safe is diamond and jewelry shopping on the internet? What do you need to know! An interview with Patrick J. Boening, President & CEO of the Diamond Wholesale Corporation, aka: DWC Inc. One of North America’s top firms in the diamond online and wholesale business. (http://www.DiamondWholesaleCorporation.com)
February 11, 2009– Interviewing Patrick J. Boening, President and CEO of the Diamond Wholesale Corporation.
Q: More and more people decide to purchase their diamonds online. DWC Inc. could improve its online sales by an impressive 83%. How come?
A: Price, Quality, Variety, Availability and good Customer Service. The confidence and trust in online diamond firms grow over the last years enormously, as most online businesses did. This is the 21st century; you don’t have to spend hours in jewelry stores only to be shown a medium quality diamond, in dimmed light for a ridicules price. Then you need to compare and run to the next store to start the whole process over and over again. A tiring, long and expensive way to do business. Retail stores will not give prices over the phone. They need you trapped within their environment. They have to sell you what they have on stock rather then what is available on the market. Remember, when you purchase a diamond or a piece of jewelry in a store, you pay for everything, the expensive location, the beautiful and costly store decoration, sales and security staff etc. etc. The price differences between online and store can easily be 50 – 70 %. On the other hand, jewelers are spoiled and hate the internet. It is like a secret leaked out. Did you ever wonder why jewelers did so well and whenever you passed by the store, their is hardly customer traffic? The smart and educated client with access to the internet realized all that.
Q: Isn’t it to risky to purchase such expensive items over the internet, and how can one minimize that risk?
A: I have never heard of an internet diamond firm that “ran off” with the client’s money. That would be a one time action. The internet is the fastest media in the world, such actions would be known and spread in hours, around the world and this company would be black listed forever. Surely you should not trust anyone just because they have a web site. If you keep these 9 rules, your purchase will be safer then in most stores:
Rule # 1: Trust a web site (company or organization) only if they publish on their web site, the full businesses address (not only a PO. Box) and phone number. If they don’t, they have a reason. Many web sites are owned by the same company or person and would show the same address and phone number.
Rule # 2: Check their references (Testimonials) and talk to existing clients. You will quick find out if they are real or made up.
Rule # 3: Check the professional trade networks and organizations, in the diamond and jewelry field: JBT (Jewelers Board of Trade), Polygon, Rapaport Network etc. If they are not registered there, they are no professionals.
Rule # 4: Check with your local BBB (Better Business Bureau). This is usually one of the first organizations that will receive a customer’s complaint.
Rule # 5: Make sure the company you are dealing with gives a full money back guarantee of at least 5 days. This will give you enough time to have the item checked by a professional (Gemologist/Appraiser) of your choice.
Rule # 6: Always choose the appraiser / gemologist yourself. Never let the salesperson recommend one. If the firm recommends an “independent” appraiser or sends the item (s) to an “independent” appraiser/gemologist of their choice, rest assure, that they are in cahoots. (If you have to sign a contract, would you ask the other parties lawyer for advice? Or would you hire your own lawyer?)
Rule # 7: Don’t be blinded by photos of diamonds. In most cases the are very misleading. Everyone who understands a little about photography knows that, photos are totally worthless. You need the scientific facts of the diamond, which are written in the Diamond Report, or Certificate. The more details you get the better. AGS (American Gemological Society) provides at the moment North Americas top certificate. It will mention details of cut that are most important and unfortunately most ignored. Crown angle in degrees and height in percent. Pavilion depth and girdle thickness. AGS is as tough as GIA (Gemological Institute of America), but gives you much more scientific details.
Rule # 8: If you found your stone, go for it! Don’t wait too long because this diamond could be sold to someone else and you have to start all over again. There are no endless supplies on diamonds in every size, shape, clarity and color out there. Like with most things in life, you often have to compromise.
Rule # 9: Compare apples with apples! When you compare one diamond and it’s price with another, hold both certificates (print out the copies that you get via e-mail) next to each other. Look at all the facts and compare, consult the gemologist if data is not clear or you need advice. Comparing one company and their prices with another, take in consideration if taxes, insurance during transport and shipping are included, is any extra cost involved, certificate, appraisal etc., or does it all come as a complete package?
Q: What will the New Year (2009) bring the Diamond Online Industry?
A: Growth! We expect a minimum total growth of 37% this year for the diamond online firms. The Diamond Wholesale Corporation (DWC Inc.) invested heavily and increased customer service as well as keeping the prices at the lowest level possible in order to insure satisfied clients.
About the Author
Angelo Tambe is the PR Director of the Diamond Wholesale Corporation.
Written by: Angelo Tambe
User Review( votes)
- 76This article shows how doing it online, enhances your overall Christmas experience! Christmas shopping online is not for you? If you are one of those that share this thought, you probably like to enjoy the atmosphere of physical shopping. Doing your Christmas shopping online despite all its convenience, lack…
- 75Discount Online Shopping Wednesday, April 27, 2009 - - Discount online shopping is a welcome reality of modern life, combining the convenience of purchasing over the Internet with considerable cost savings. And for the very best of discount online shopping in the United States and Canada, there is only one…
- 70Valetta, Malta - September 15, 2009 - Staying alert to turbulent market opportunities and growing thirst for gambling goods and accessories, Gamblinggates.com has launched its long-awaited e-shopping facility. GamblingGates.com customers are presented with a wide-ranging selection of gambling-related books, videos, DVDs, games and accessories. Look at reviews, descriptions, and other details…
- 70Christmas shopping is no longer confined to the local mall or an annual catalog that happens to find it's way into your mailbox. Thanks to advanced technology, there is literally a whole world of shopping at your fingertips. The internet has revolutionized the way people shop and, besides, what better…
- 70Mystery shopping is a long time and very easy to understand concept. In this very competitive age customer service is paramount to retailers. These retailers hire mystery shoppers, also known as secret shoppers to evaluate staff performance, check on customer service and evaluate front line cashier staff. Retail managers use…
- 70Many small and medium sized businesses have found that working through an Application Service Provider or ASP (hosted and managed shopping cart software), removes the hassles that are standard in managing an online store or shopping cart. Furthermore, it is now accepted that outsourcing this function will not only benefit…
- 68eDeals Superstore Online shopping for Housewares, Gifts, Toys, TVs, Hardware, Tools, Cameras and more. With a medley of shopping sites exisitng on the web, there is one superstore that outshines all others. One online store designed specifically to satisfy all your discount shopping needs, and at the same time, keeps…
- 68Succeeding in business can be a hassle and a headache without the right tools. This is especially true when dealing with ecommerce. Regardless of the market, service, or goods being offered, the one tool that is essential to the success of every online ecommerce business is a reliable ecommerce shopping…
Share Your Thoughts
Category: Tips Articles