Getting Pre-Approved for a Home Loan Is One of the Best Ways to Get a Leg Up on the Competition When Shopping for a Home
The real estate market is soaring because of low interest rates that have brought home buying to average Americans. All over the country, more renters are buying and homeowners are upgrading their properties. In this hot seller’s market, a pre-approval letter from your mortgage lender can help you secure a winning bid on the home of your dreams.
A pre-approval involves much more than filling out a questionnaire. It is essentially going through the entire mortgage application process and having the lender give you an exact figure of how much money they are willing to lend you and at what interest rate. Having the letter is like having the cash in the bank. This shifts your focus from financing to getting the best real estate agent and finding the best home that you can afford.
Pay attention to the terms of the letter before you start shopping for your home: What terms did your mortgage lender extend?
A simple prequalification where they took down your information and made an informal guess of what type of loan you will receive is usually not very effective. This basic prequalification of course is subject to running a full credit check, full disclosure of your assets, and no drastic changes in your financial situation.
Any lapsed payments on credit cards, student loans or a job change, can give your mortgage lender sufficient reasons to back out of the deal.
Here’s how to get the maximum benefits out of the pre-approval process:
1. Start by using the resources on any major search engine. Look for “mortgage lenders,” “home loans,” or “pre-qualify for a mortgage”.
2. Fill out an application and make sure it goes through the underwriting process. If you’re not sure, call the lender using their customer service number and ask them what happens after all the information is submitted.
3. Find out if there are any fees involved for pulling your three bureau credit reports, and for the underwriting. Some lenders will charge the fees up front and others will wait until you are approved for the loan.
4. Fill out any extra paperwork such as proof of employments and statement of your resources. You have to prove that you enough cash on hand for a down payment, unless you are getting a no money down home loan. Also, you have to prove that the cash is yours and not a loan.
If you want to a loan from your parents for example, try to get it six to eight months in advance and keep it in your savings account. Otherwise, it will count as a debt and could increase your debt to income ratio and have the opposite effect; showing that you don’t have any cash and disqualify you from a much bigger loan.
5. Get a pre-approval letter from the lender stating the exact amount of the loan that you will receive and the interest rate.
6. Pay attention to the expiration date on the letter. If you are in a market such as Southern California where competition is particularly fierce, make sure you have the most flexible expiration date that your lender will allow.
Whether it’s 30 days or 60 days, get it stated in writing. If you lose out on your first or second choice for a home (typical), you won’t be stressed to settle for anything just to get a house.
This article may be freely distributed as long as the author’s bio is included with an active link to http://www.rapidlingo.com.
Written by: Syd Johnson
User Review( votes)
- 69Sometimes you need extra money for unexpected expenses like car repairs, unexpected bills, health expenses, school expenses, or a myriad of other reasons. Where do you go to get money for these unplanned expenses? Personal loans are available from many different companies and lenders for consumers today whether you have…
- Debt-to-Income Ratio - It's Just as Important as Your Credit Score When You're Shopping for a New Home66
- 62Mystery shopping is a long time and very easy to understand concept. In this very competitive age customer service is paramount to retailers. These retailers hire mystery shoppers, also known as secret shoppers to evaluate staff performance, check on customer service and evaluate front line cashier staff. Retail managers use…
- 60Discount Online Shopping Wednesday, April 27, 2009 - - Discount online shopping is a welcome reality of modern life, combining the convenience of purchasing over the Internet with considerable cost savings. And for the very best of discount online shopping in the United States and Canada, there is only one…
- 60This article shows how doing it online, enhances your overall Christmas experience! Christmas shopping online is not for you? If you are one of those that share this thought, you probably like to enjoy the atmosphere of physical shopping. Doing your Christmas shopping online despite all its convenience, lack…
- 59Many small and medium sized businesses have found that working through an Application Service Provider or ASP (hosted and managed shopping cart software), removes the hassles that are standard in managing an online store or shopping cart. Furthermore, it is now accepted that outsourcing this function will not only benefit…
Share Your Thoughts
Category: Tips Articles