Holiday Shopping Online – Delivery Rules For Your Orders
Holiday shopping online has taken a lot of stress out the holiday season with one exception. What if your order doesn’t show up on time? Here are the delivery rules.
Holiday Shopping – Prompt Delivery Rules
The Internet is the fastest growing source of holiday gifts orders. The FTC, however, has received complaints in the past about gifts not being delivered on time. To stop this, the agency has set down rules for Internet retailers.
The FTC has issues directives spelling out the ground rules for making promises about shipments, notifying consumers about unexpected delays, and refunding consumers’ money. Enforced by the FTC, the Mail or Telephone Order Rule applies to orders placed by phone, fax or the Internet.
By law, an Internet retailer must have a reasonable basis for stating that a product can be shipped within a certain time. If their advertising doesn’t clearly and prominently state the shipment period, they must have a reasonable basis for believing they can ship within 30 days. Most retailers, however, will promise much shorter times, even a few days if you agree to extra shipping costs.
If a retailer runs into inventory problems and can’t ship within the promised time, it must notify you of the delay. The retailer must also provide a revised shipment date and explain your right to cancel and get a full and prompt refund. There are no exceptions to this rule.
For definite delays of up to 30 days, a retailer can treat a customer’s silence as agreeing to the delay. But for longer or indefinite delays – and second and subsequent delays – a retailer must get the customer’s written, electronic or verbal consent to the delay. If you tell the retailer to pound sand, they must promptly refund all of your money.
FTC Takes Care of You
The FTC takes a very aggressive stance towards retailers who fail to deliver orders on time. This is particularly true if a retailer blows it during the Christmas season. Millions of dollars in fines are handed out each year.
If you order gifts online, keep notes on when you ordered and expect delivery. Also, keep an eye out for emails from the retailer, particularly since they may end up in your spam box. If nothing comes from the retailer, get on the phone and find out what is going on. Taking these steps will keep the kinks out of your online holiday shopping experience.
About the author:
Rick Chapo is with http://www.nomadjournals.com – makers of writing journals. Writing journals are great Christmas gifts for him or her and are always shipped on time.
Written by: Rick Chapo
User Review( votes)
- 73This article shows how doing it online, enhances your overall Christmas experience! Christmas shopping online is not for you? If you are one of those that share this thought, you probably like to enjoy the atmosphere of physical shopping. Doing your Christmas shopping online despite all its convenience, lack…
- 71Christmas shopping is no longer confined to the local mall or an annual catalog that happens to find it's way into your mailbox. Thanks to advanced technology, there is literally a whole world of shopping at your fingertips. The internet has revolutionized the way people shop and, besides, what better…
- 66Discount Online Shopping Wednesday, April 27, 2009 - - Discount online shopping is a welcome reality of modern life, combining the convenience of purchasing over the Internet with considerable cost savings. And for the very best of discount online shopping in the United States and Canada, there is only one…
- 64How safe is diamond and jewelry shopping on the internet? What do you need to know! An interview with Patrick J. Boening, President & CEO of the Diamond Wholesale Corporation, aka: DWC Inc. One of North America's top firms in the diamond online and wholesale business. (http://www.DiamondWholesaleCorporation.com) February 11, 2009--…
- 62Many small and medium sized businesses have found that working through an Application Service Provider or ASP (hosted and managed shopping cart software), removes the hassles that are standard in managing an online store or shopping cart. Furthermore, it is now accepted that outsourcing this function will not only benefit…
- 62Mystery shopping is a long time and very easy to understand concept. In this very competitive age customer service is paramount to retailers. These retailers hire mystery shoppers, also known as secret shoppers to evaluate staff performance, check on customer service and evaluate front line cashier staff. Retail managers use…
Share Your Thoughts
Category: Tips Articles