Life insurance – wise investment in personal finance or excessive caution?
Life insurance is typically taken out to offer valuable financial protection for your family in the event of your death, upon which a payment is made to your financial beneficiaries, heirs or family members. The extent of this payment will depend on your insured sum and earnings. Life insurance and life assurance may be interlinked in advertisements, though bear in mind the two policies are different. Life assurance is a form of financial protection which is also an investment, as you should always get a pay-out at the end of the term of the policy. Life insurance on the other hand is simply financial protection for your family, avoiding the issue of debt in the event of your death.
According to an article by the Fair Investment Company, the British life insurance industry shrank to almost half the size of the pensions industry last year and according to the Association of British Insurers, less than 50% of UK households hold a life insurance policy.
In their most recent newsletter about this issue, the Association of British Insurers found that 25% of mortgage holders had insufficient life insurance to cover their debt. The ratio of new life insurance policies to new mortgage loans was apparently 68% in 1994, but by 2009 this had dropped by half to 33%.
The absence of mortgage life coverage poses a serious risk for the dependants of homeowners. If banks were to embark on wide scale repossessions as a result of this absence of life insurance, this would impose a risk on their loan books and reputations. The Association of British Insurers also state that one of the main reasons behind the increased gap between mortgage loans and insurance is the emergence of people remortgaging their property to take advantage of equity release through a rise in value, without insuring their borrowing. In their report it was stated that around 63% of new mortgage loans were remortgages or further advances, compared to 34% in 1994. Egg reported at around the same time, that three out of four of these new loan homeowners had no intention of insuring this additional debt. This is particularly worrying if couples are remortgaging their property later in life – towards retirement, given that should anything happen to the breadwinner, the partner would be left with significant debts without the capability of paying the loan back.
Reasons for the downward trend in life insurance take-up include:
* Relaxation in lending policy – increased competition in the mortgage market means that lenders are not forcing life insurance policies on their customers
* High house prices have stretched homebuyers, in particular first time home-buyers, in terms of their mortgage repayments, that the additional costs of a life insurance policy are deemed too expensive
* There are more households with no dependents
If you’re interested in researching a life insurance policy, make sure you shop around. UK websites such as moneynet ( life insurance ) provide life insurance and life assurance information guides, as well as providing price comparison research for the different products. In the states, the website LowerMyBills.com also offers a similar service.
Because of the various factors listed above, people have also become less familiar with the term life insurance and without the awareness there is little recognition of the importance of this type of insurance. However as speculation increases that UK households are not coping with their debt, so should the awareness of life insurance as an essential product in the personal finance portfolio.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
Rachel writes for the personal finance blog Cashzilla:
Rachel is a disillusioned, disaffected and broke graduate, exploiting new media for financial therapy.
Phone: 0131 561 2251
Written by: cashzilla
User Review( votes)
- 80It's no wonder that the majority of homeowners dream of one day being able to pay off their home loan and live a life free from the shackles of interest rates, home finance and worries about meeting the monthly mortgage payments because the largest expense the majority of us take…
- 80Gone are the days when money could be fetched either by mere mortgaging or financing something. Now it is time to get money via an amalgam of the two i.e. Mortgage Refinance. Mortgage refinance is a smart idea to have a good credit sum and repay it in an easy…
- 77Money makes the world go round, as they say, and while the whole world is full of those crisp or wilted paper bills it seems that they like to slip right through our hands so quickly. People who know how to make a dollar or two with ease enter the…
- 76If you are looking for a mortgage refinance, it never hurts to shop around for the best rate and deal. Shopping around could mean the difference between paying or saving thousands of dollars in closing costs, and interest fees'. If time happens to be on your side, and you don't…
- 76Unfortunately, those people who have poor credit ratings, even those who are trying to reform their ways, are rarely taken seriously when trying to conduct normal transactions. A bad credit rating can make it exceedingly difficult to get important financing, such as car loans, mortgages, and credit cards. Fortunately, a bad…
- 74Refinance mortgage rate is the best rate available to qualified homeowners for refinancing their current home mortgage. Refinance mortgage rates vary from product to product and customer to customer. A consumer with excellent credit will qualify for the very lowest and best refinance mortgage rate but one with problem credit will…
- 74Are Your Finances Prepared For Divorce? Life is hard and nothing is more testing and straining than going through a divorce. A divorce can indeed be a stressful time without the added pressures on ones finances. Besides emotional erosion, a divorce is also known to be a costly event in…
- 74Finance And Lifestyle - Are They Interlinked? When it comes to lifestyle, many debates spark up. Many people have their own idea of what lifestyle really is. But it is clear that finance and lifestyle need to co-exist in some form. In order for you to afford a certain lifestyle,…
- 74Online mortgage companies make refinancing convenient and competitive. By researching mortgage rates and lenders online, you can be assured that you have the best refinancing rates. Before You Refinance Before you refinance your current mortgage, do a little financial housekeeping. Check your credit report and make sure all your financial…
- 74Bad Credit Mortgage Refinance If you are looking to refinance your mortgage but believe you will be unable to because your credit may be challenged by late payments, bankruptcy, charge off's, or unpaid medical bills to name a few, don't worry, there is hope. There are literally thousands of lenders…
Share Your Thoughts
Category: Tips Articles