When you can’t just wait to buy a car
After buying your own home, one of the most expensive purchases you will decide on is buying a car. Along with the car, car-related expenses, like fuel, maintenance and insurance, even accessories, can get a big chunk from your budget.
Sure, you will be kicking a few tires but that will only be half of the battle. Know your limitations even before looking for that new car. If you would be paying for all car-related expenses, don’t forget to spend no more than 10% of your total earnings.
When negotiating for the price of your car, decide first on a price range and how much your down payment will be. Should you choose a long arrangement under a car finance loan, your down payment would be at the minimum. If you decide to trade the car within the first year, you will realize that you actually owe more than your car is worth. As a general rule, never apply for a car finance loan that is more than 80% of the price of the car, as indicated in the dealer’s invoice. Try to pay in cash or have equity for the car which is about 20% of the car’s true cost.
Usually, your car dealer will send you to their in-house financing department for a car finance loan. Dealers may have less-restrictive requirements than banks, however, they could insist on cut-rate car financing loans for you to apply for. Such car finance loans have 3% interest rates that could be attractive for the unsuspecting customer. Unfortunately, these low interest rates only apply only to certain models or short term car finance loans of 12 months tops. You’ll be surprised at how dealers make a lot of money on car finance loans, even when it’s done through the manufacturer.
As a good rule of thumb, always negotiate the price before you reveal that you are thinking about applying for a car finance loan. If they know ahead of time that you plan on wrapping up the deal with a car finance loan, they will frequently try to create a dilemma for you by giving you a lower rate on a higher price or a lower price at a higher finance rate. If you do decide on a car finance loan through the dealer, you can negotiate the interest rate. Dealerships usually have several loan sources, including local banks and the manufacturer’s credit company. Each source sets their rates to the dealer.
It is important to investigate other sources for a car finance loan, such as your bank or credit union, before you sign your name. Choose from several sources for car finance loan options. Find out from banks or credit unions if they have any special deals on car finance loans right now. Use a Car Finance Loan Worksheet to compare various sources.
With so many choices for a car finance loan, you need to learn so much. Always consider your financing carefully. Open your door to several possibilities while weighing your choices with caution. Come up with a shopping list of what you are looking for in a car finance loan deal. When you become well-informed, chances are, you will be saving more money and get the right car for your budget.
About the author:
Written by: Simon Gelfand
User Review( votes)
- 96These days when you step into a car showroom, there will be two major things that the dealer will be offering you. First he will be offering you cars, and secondly he will be offering you finance packages. This is how you should look at it. The fact of the…
- 94Fast car on open roads. It is a perfect picture for any car enthusiast. But you have to go to your work and also drop your kids to school. This is the real picture for most of us. We need to save time when we don’t have any. A typical…
- 90When it comes to making a car purchase, paying for it is a big part of the battle. Even mid level new cars run into the $20,000 range. Because of these prices, few people pay cash for cars anymore and statistically about 7 out of every 10 people use car…
- 88These days having a reliable and safe vehicle to drive is more important than ever. With public transport packed to the hilt and often unreliable, many people have learned to rely on their vehicles to get to college or work, pick up the kids, do the shopping and even to…
- 87Your car is one of the most expensive purchases you will ever make. Probably the only thing you will buy that costs more than your car is your house. You wouldn't just accept the first mortgage you came across, and likewise you shouldn't just accept the first vehicle financing option…
- 85At some point in a person's life they come to a conclusion that they are paying more for something than they should. If you wish to break out of this cycle and refinance your car loan therefore saving you thousands of dollars in interest and high rates then you are…
- 83Purchasing a new vehicle requires more than just deciding what type of car to buy and how much to pay. Unless you have a lot of cash saved and can buy the car upfront, you will have to decide upon some type of financing. Before choosing a car finance company,…
- 83Cars don't look at your credit before they decide to breakdown. Anyone, with poor credit or great credit, could find themselves in a situation where they need an auto loan. Fortunately, those with poor credit do have options available for financing their vehicles. "Bad Credit Car Loans" One of the…
Share Your Thoughts
Category: Tips Articles